“Saturday Morning Serial” Podcast
Saturday, February 25th at the BNTC North Austin Studio
8701 W. Parmer Ln. #1122
Actors: 10am to 12pm
Writers: 1pm to 3pm
BNTC is in the early phases of developing a radio serial that will be distributed as a podcast (and potentially expanded into a web series). The concept of the serial is to feature different Austin based talent each week. Each episode will be written by a different writer but will feature the same cast of actors. Every week, the new writer will build on the script that was produced the week before and add their own personal twist to the plot. Each new episode will also feature a different guest musician. Script writing will begin in March and live recordings will begin in April.
Interviews/Auditions Saturday, February 25th from 1pm to 3pm.
Please bring a five-page writing sample (we would be thrilled if you emailed it ahead of time to firstname.lastname@example.org). The interview/audition will consist of group discussions and devising exercises lead by the podcast’s director/script supervisor.
Auditions Saturday, February 25th from 10am to 12pm.
The audition will consist of cold-reading and improvisation exercises. Some actors may be called back for a follow-up audition which will involve interaction with writers from 1pm to 3pm. (If you would like to send your resume ahead of time, please email it to email@example.com.)
If you would like to be considered for inclusion in the musician pool please email your contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org with the words “Radio Serial Musician Pool” in the subject line.
The show will be recorded live on Friday evenings in April and May. If you would like reserve tickets to attend an in-studio taping or, if you would like to receive the link to download the show, email email@example.com with the words “Tickets for Radio Serial Taping” or “Link to Podcast” in the subject line.
If you are interested in becoming a Sponsor or donating to support the project, we would be happy to send you more information. Just email firstname.lastname@example.org with the words “Radio Serial Sponsorship Info.” or “Radio Serial Donation Info.” in the subject line.
"We need to get serious about devising that new play!"..."I don't know, maybe we should put it off some more."
There are a million ways to create brand new theatre but with a world of possibilities available to you, it can be difficult to pick one approach, stick with it and make your ideas a reality. If you want to be a part of developing brand new theatre in 2012, get started on the right foot by participating in one of the Brand New Theatre Co.’s theatre devising workshops this January.
Here’s how the BNTC Brand New Year, Brand New Plays Project works:
- One playwright will be teamed with two to six actors.
- Each team will attend a four session workshop.
- The sessions, which are three hours in length, will take place either over the span of one work week (Mon-Thurs 6:30pm to 9:30pm) or over one intensive weekend (Fri 6:30pm to 9:30pm and Sat 9am to 8pm) during the month of January.
- Each participant will work directly with BNTC staff to book the session in January that works best for his/her schedule.
- BNTC’s Artistic Director will guide each team through a series of devising exercises designed to kick start the creative process while giving depth and structure to ideas about Plot, Character, Setting and Conflict.
- At the end of the four sessions writers will have a framework for a one-act play. They will then have until the end of January to produce a working script.
- Teams will come back together for one more session between Feb. 1 and Feb. 8 during which they will read the script, have the opportunity to make minor adjustments and come up with a presentation plan (note: most presentations will consist of a simple script reading).
- On the weekend of Feb 10-12 (specific date TBA) the works-in-progress will be showcased at a BNTC fundraiser. The audience will have the opportunity to donate to BNTC by purchasing as many votes as they would like. They will then vote on the work-in-progress that they feel has the most potential to become a successful completed theatre piece. The winning team will take home a portion of the audience’s donations as their prize.
Important Notes On the BNY, BNP Project:
- The entry fee for participating in the project is $75/person. (This is half BNTC’s normal workshop fee because the BNY, BNP Project is still in the pilot phase.)
- Because this is a pilot project, BNTC cannot make any guarantees about the outcome of each workshop. BNTC will support writers in the development of their works-in-progress but participants must be prepared for the possibility that their work may not be presentation ready in February. BNTC will make every attempt to ensure that each group has a presentation to offer but we cannot give refunds to groups that are unable to produce suitable scripts in time for the presentation event.
How to Sign Up
Fill out the form below. You can sign up with a group or as an individual. BNTC staff will be in contact with you about scheduling your specific workshop dates. We will contact you first by email but we may need to follow-up by phone to ensure that we have scheduled you with a group size and workshop dates that you can commit to. You do not pay until an entire team has been scheduled for the workshop dates you have selected. Remember, the sooner you sign-up, the more likely you are to get the workshop dates that work best for you.